Children will develop a fluency with number and deepened conceptual understanding of mathematical concepts involved. They will use these to solve sophisticated maths problems and be able to reason using mathematical language. They will have the opportunity to experiment with and represent their thoughts, ideas and solutions using practical resources, images and mathematical symbols.
At Huntingtower, we strive to teach maths using many of the key themes of a mastery led curriculum and think the following characteristics of a good mathematician are:
• An understanding of the important concepts and an ability to make connections within mathematics.
• A broad range of skills in using and applying mathematics.
• Fluent knowledge and recall of number facts and the number system.
• The ability to show initiative in solving problems in a wide range of contexts, including the new or unusual.
• The ability to think independently and to persevere when faced with challenges, showing a confidence of success.
• The ability to embrace the value of learning from mistakes and false starts.
• The ability to reason, generalise and make sense of solutions.
• Fluency in performing written and mental calculations and mathematical techniques.
• A wide range of mathematical vocabulary.
• A commitment to and passion for the subject.