Using Chris Quigley characteristics of a good communicator they must have: • An exceptional talent for listening attentively so as to understand what is being said. • A rich and varied vocabulary that gives clarity and interest to conversations. • Clear speech that can be easily understood by a range of audiences. • An excellent grasp of the rules used in English conversation, such as tenses and the grammatical structure of sentences. • A highly developed ability to tell stories that capture the interest and imagination of the audience. • A delight in initiating and joining in conversations. • Respect for others when communicating, even when views differ.
Using Chris Quigley characteristics of a good reader they must have:
• Excellent phonic knowledge and skills. • Fluency and accuracy in reading across a wide range of contexts throughout the curriculum. • Knowledge of an extensive and rich vocabulary. • An excellent comprehension of texts. • The motivation to read for both study and for pleasure. • Extensive knowledge through having read a rich and varied range of texts.
We use the Scholastic Reading Pro as a school for children to read and take quizzes to improve their reading skills. All children have a username and password and access the website here.
Using Chris Quigley characteristics of a good writer they must have:
• The ability to write fluently and with interesting detail on a number of topics throughout the curriculum.
• A vivid imagination which makes readers engage with and enjoy their writing.
• A highly developed vocabulary and an excellent knowledge of writing techniques to extend details or description.
• Well-organised and structured writing, which includes a variety of sentence structures.
• Excellent transcription skills that ensure their writing is well presented and punctuated, spelled correctly and neat.
• A love of writing and an appreciation of its educational, cultural and entertainment values.